Basic questions about the program:
- Length of program? Many are 1-2 years, some are 3.
- How many fellows do they take?
- Location of program?
- How long has the program been around?
- How is the division arranged? Is it housed within a department/division of general pediatrics or its own division?
- How is the group viewed by the hospital? Will that limit your academic interests/pursuits?
Questions about the clinical experience:
- Is there a period of being shadowed or are you independently practicing right away, or a combination thereof?
- What types of patients are you expected to see?
- Are there resident -covered and non-resident (“attending only”)teams? Will be you be expected to do more of one or the other?
- Are there “off-campus” or “community” sites that you will staff (pediatric ward within an adult hospital setting)?
- What are the “other” things the group does (i.e. sedation service, palliative care service, chronic care service, “subspecialty hospitalists” such as NICU, PICU, oncology, surgical hospitalist services)?
- Will there be elective time?
- What is the “call” structure? Are fellows expected to take more or less or is it equitable?
Questions about the non-clinical work /scholarly activities and other educational activities:
- Is there the possibility or requirement of an advanced degrees? Further specialized training in a particular domain?
- What is the curriculum regarding: education, quality improvement, research, leadership, advocacy?
- What is the schedule? Will you have enough time to complete your project (dedicated time for non-clinical work/scholarly activity)?
- Is there a formal mentorship program? If not, how to current fellows identify their mentors?
- What activities are current members in the division participating in? Are there faculty members who have similar interests to you who could be potential mentors?
- Do you have dedicated time for conference attendance?
- Do you get to participate in the same activities as other pediatric fellows in your program? Is this required or optional?
- What projects are current and graduating fellows involved in?
- Where are graduating fellows and what are they currently doing?